Join a group of like-minded people in the East Village to explore the art of cooking incredibly tasty and healthy food! In these classes, you will learn a variety of dishes, flavors, utensils, smells, textures, and colors to make your life better. And you’ll most certainly walk away finding your kitchen a more comfortable, useful, and inspiring place, no matter who you are! This approach is based on the SVA Ayurveda tradition, a 5,000-year-old lineage of holistic medicine that comes from India. It applies to practically any style of cooking, culture, or circumstance.
These are one-session classes that introduce you to the art of making delicious easy-to-make vegetarian meals based on SVA Ayurveda. You will gain a basic understanding of:
- Principles of what makes food healthy or not for you.
- An overview of how to use spices and make spice mixtures.
- An introduction into making entrées, soups, desserts, teas, and grain dishes.
- The secrets of making sure your food is easy to digest and assimilate.
- Tips on applying Ayurvedic principles to any type of cuisine.
- Resources to support you in accessing optimal food choices in the grocery store or at restaurants
Each class will combine discussion, participatory cooking demonstrations, and ends with a delicious meal for everyone! As Ayurveda aligns health with the rhythm of the seasons, our intro cooking classes change focus seasonally.
Intro Class – Summer Menu
1. Rehydrating Drink
2. How to Make Fresh Cheese
3. Zucchini w/ Fresh Cheese & Toasted Almonds
4. Red & Basmati Rice
5. Summer Harvest Salad w/ Basil-Sunflower Dressing
6. Blueberry Muffins
7. Cooked Apple “Pre-Breakfast”
* Classes are vegan and gluten-free friendly. Please notify us upon registering if you have this need.